FZ1000, Perseids, 500 Rule, which focal length to use?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
dsjtecserv Veteran Member • Posts: 3,700
Re: Perseids

Flycaster wrote:

dsjtecserv wrote:

You want the shutter to be open every movement that it can be. You can't predict when a meteor will occur, so you essentially need to be shooting all the time if you want to have a decent chance of catching a few.

Understand your point, but I most likely should be happy with 200 exposures over two hours as the Perseids will be a very heavy meteor shower. This is all a learning experience and I'll accept just about any capture.

I have stayed up all night shooting the Persieds a couple times. "Very heavy" is a relative term; I think I was lucky to come away with about 25 or 30 usable trails from covering the entire time of an roughly 6 hour period. Most of those are short duration or dim meteors; only a few were long and bright. So trust me on this, you will want to have your shutter open and available to record anything that happens as much as you possibly can during the peak period, and even then you will be surprised at how few good ones you'll get.

Dave

dsjtecserv's gear list:dsjtecserv's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow