I can't believe I caught it (E-M1)!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Geekapoo
Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,680
I can't believe I caught it (E-M1)!

Had my E-M1 with me, paired with the PL 8-18. Started the day with a 3 mile hike then hopped on a bus to the subway and then onto a train. When getting off the train, felt the camera strap sliding off my neck (Peak Design Lite strap) and instinctively caught the camera at crotch level, slamming the camera into my "little boys" (who clearly took one for the team, it was painful).

An E-M1 lug had broke. I cannot believe my luck..the could have happened at any point on my journey! Could have damaged both camera and one of my favorite lenses.

The bad news is that now the camera will only occasionally turn on. No guessing when it will/won't work. Frustrating. I have read that there are pins that anchor the lug to the body. I think they may have broken off and are interfering with the camera functioning (though I don't hear anything loose in the camera).

As I own the 8-18, an Oly 12-40 f2.8 and an Oly 60mm macro, I guess it's time to shop for a new body. As I own an RX10 IV and a D750, I am not interested in a relatively heavy body (so no G9) or need really good AF-C (the RX10 IV and D750 AF is spectacular) so no E-M1 ii. Also, given issues I've had with the E-M1 (the back wheel does not work well, the lug broke), not another  E-M1 for me. Already have owned an E-M5. Only liked it once I bought a grip (and then loved it) but don't want to return to a lower resolution EVF m43 camera.

What to buy? E-M10 is too small IMHO. Maybe an E-M5 ii plus another grip? Would have considered a GX9 but heard that Panasonic was really stupid and did not include a mic port. Maybe a GX8, though have read bad things about the EVF and shutter issues? Tend to shoot RAW so the Pen F has no appeal. I've owned the GF1, G3, GF3, E-M5 and the E-M1. Not sure what to get next but did not like my E-M1 experience (never had such issues with other cameras). Bummer..I did like the E-M1 but am hesitant to buy another one.

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow