5DSR for longexposure photography

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Der Fotograf
Der Fotograf Junior Member • Posts: 48
5DSR for longexposure photography

I want to buy a 5DSR for the higher resolution, as I am looking at printing large images. I have read a lot about the long exposure capability of this camera, and I am aware that it won’t be a low iso performer. I am ok with that, as I would generally shoot at ISO 100. From that perspective the camera is a great performer, and I am ok with it being worse than the Sony’s in that regard.
BUT...I have just come across a video on Breakthrough Photography’s website, where they have provided feedback that the 5DSR is unusable for longexposure photography. They explained that the live view performance required for setting up the shot or focussing is so poor that in their mind it is unusable. I do all my framing in live view and understand that if the frame is too dark, there is just no chance to set up the shot. This in fact raises the question if the camera is usable for my needs.
On the other hand there are many people using this camera for long exposure photograph with great success, and I assume they use Liveview as well. Can I please get some guidance from the people who have experience with longexposure photography using Liveview on the 5DS or 5DSR?
I aim to use 3,6 and 10 stop filters for golden hour shots and daytime exposures. Do you think this camera will work for me?

Here is the video I refer to. You need to order the video, it’s free of charge, and then you get the download link: https://breakthrough.photography/collections/all/products/long-exposure-fundamentals-video They explain the Liveview situation around the 4 minute mark.

Der Fotograf's gear list:Der Fotograf's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +18 more
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow