Will every sensor except «full frame» die?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
razorfish Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Will every sensor except «full frame» die?

Let me first say this: «I am not a troll». There.

My prediction is that interchangeable lens cameras with a sensor that is not «full frame» will become extremely rare in the near future, and possibly vanish completely from the market. What do you guys think? (Note that I’m referring here to the original and correct meaning of the term «full frame sensor», i.e. a sensor utilizing the full extent of the image circle the lens mount of the camera was designed for, so e.g. Nikon’s APS-C sensor in their DSLRs is not «full frame» while Fuji’s APS-C sensor in the X-system cameras is «full frame». Similarly, both Sony’s 35mm mirrorless sensor cameras and Olympus’ micro four thirds sensor cameras are «full frame». Even the Nikon 1 system cameras with their 1” sensors were «full frame» cameras.)

-- hide signature --

«Any lens that requires a separate tripod mount is just too big for mirrorless.»

«Some people believe photography is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.»

«Eppur si muove.»

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow