Slightly disappointed by 70-200 f2.8

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eukerion
eukerion New Member • Posts: 19
Slightly disappointed by 70-200 f2.8

Hi all,

Yesterday I received my new Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Di VC USD lens for Canon mount. It is a second-hand lens as I've found quite a good deal online.

I was expecting a lot from this lens but after a few shots I must say I'm slightly disappointed by the sharpness and even found quite a lot of ghosting.

I would like to know if you guys think it's normal to have ghosting while shooting wide open at f/2.8 and if I've been expecting the impossible out of the lens or if you guys think my lens might have an issue, in which case I might send it back.

Here are a few test shots I took yesterday (the subjects were quite difficult as I was shooting from far away and wide open).

I'm shooting with a Canon 70D and all shots are with VC on (except for the Canon lens which doesn't have IS). The images are the unedited JPGs.

Focus point was on the stairs.

I was trying to focus on the person walking but there might be some back-focusing here.

I find image quality slightly more satisfying when focusing at a closer distance.

Shot with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Di VC USD wide open at f/2.8...

... Same subject but shot with my Canon 200mm f/2.8L USM (non IS)

I find the Canon lens slightly sharper but I must admit I like the contrast given by the Tamron piece of glass.

What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this? Especially comparing with the Canon 200mm where the pictures are very similar although I find the sharpness deteriorates faster on the Tamron when going away from the centre of the frame...

Thanks in advance for your enlightened opinions!

-- hide signature --

My modest Flickr gallery (comments and advice welcome): http://www.flickr.com/photos/112300149@N08/

eukerion's gear list:eukerion's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro +2 more
Canon EOS 70D Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow