Are better quality small zoom lenses possible?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,601
Are better quality small zoom lenses possible?

Like many I don't want to carry a big body/lens set up around.

The M4/3 offerings provide small body options and when paired with some lenses (not the current crop of 'pro' lenses) meet what I want in terms of size, and that seems to be the need of many others on this forum, as well as  representing the point  of competitive advantage for the system.

Paired with 'pro' lenses puts the system into direct size competition with A7iii and probably others over a wide range of lens choices, and although the M4/3 may have some advantages which we are all aware of, you cannot deny physics and the ultimate advantages of larger sensors in some respects.

So, my question.  If I am prepared to pay more (possibly much) for a small lens, can it be made better with better glass, better manufacture and assembly?

Just how good could a 14-42, a 14-150 or a 70-300 (or similar Panasonic lenses) be if cost is no object? (Small prime lenses are generally available and already of excellent quality)

They would have the small apertures associated with kit lenses, but for much photography that is not a problem with improved sensors.

As a second question, how much bigger would these lenses or the EM10/GX85 be with weather sealing?

tom

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow