100-400 still trying to get consistent results

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,237
100-400 still trying to get consistent results

Not sure if it is me or the lens but I really am struggling to get anything like consistent results from the lens and my XH1. First of all I`m finding even the better shots have not got the contrast that my 55-200 turns out. I did some tests when it first arrived during that hot period in the UK, being careful and using a sturdy tripod, tried IS off and IS on, tried timer release and normal release. Today I went up to the coast (true I only used hand holding but did shoot some resting on a wall) and to be honest I think a beginner could have done better. Maybe I`m asking too much of the lens but compared to my 55-200 the results can be classed as chalk and cheese. So, how much of a learning curve is this lens gonna be? Some out of my 250 shots today were reasonably sharp but even those didn`t come close to what I normally get from my Fujis. I`m having to do a lot more post to make the better shots more acceptable. The ones that are more or less near the mark just seem a lot more flat than I`m used to. To be honest in all my years in photography (maybe 50) I have only had Canon 70-200 + 1.4, cheapo canon 75-300, and my 55-200 Fuji and have never had anything like as many misses. I`m beginning to wonder whether I have a dud. I have never used a tripod with those other lenses.

Can anyone of you that have the lens had problems at first like this and whats the answer? before I go back to the dealer and make myself look a fool. My wife and I have studied the images and she says that although they are not up to my normal standard I must remember that you can see things in the images that your eye really struggles to pick out and I agree and that would be fine if they had more contrast. I have an old Pana FZ1000 and am going to compare in the morning when the light comes back and also compare some shots between the 100-400 set to 200 and my 55-200 set to full focal length. I`m not seeing the normal movement blur but it`s as if there is a very week softening filter in line.

If you guys tell me that it`s me then I will plod along and practise till I get it right. Can I just say that I have viewed a lot of images from this lens on line and in all honesty I can`t say that I have been blown away by anything I have seen so maybe I`m looking for too much but of course on line images rarely do justice to themselves. There used to be a on line site where we could upload images in full res for others to download them, my internet is very slow but I`m prepared to upload and wait.

Thanks for reading and any views.

Old Timer (previously Dave)

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope

Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +10 more
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow