Crazy problem with Epson r3000

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
UlysseITA Junior Member • Posts: 36
Crazy problem with Epson r3000

Hello, I started fine art printing with a used Epson r3000.

Bought in excellent condition, I tested many papers type and printing settings with the already mounted compatible LCL inks, and after 2 weeks I changed to the OEM by Epson.
I always found the prints too dark, something like 2 or 3 stops in the shadows; wasn't really a problem working with Epson settings before, just letting the Epson driver work with 10, 15 points of brightness was a fast solution.

After the ink replacement, I re-calibrated the monitor to d50, 80 of luma and a lab profile with displaycal, in order to be able to have the right workflow... I changed my settings in Lightroom/Photoshop using the Adobe program to set the printer with the paper ICC profile.

So I tested the Ilford Galerie gloss 310, the Canson Baryta 310 and the Canson gloss 270 with the right ICC profile selected.

All prints were DARK, very DARK; after the histogram of Lightroom moved by 1.8 stop of exposure on the right, a pyramid with the peak on the highlights, the print becomes nearly good.

I tested even the brightness option on Lightroom, and a setting of 40!!!! makes the prints shaded but with a good exposure...

Someone would say: " do you check the prints in the right environment?"

I checked under the sunlight, under the led light of my phone, under the office lights.. always UNDEREXPOSED.
So I worked with a friend of mine expert in profiling.. the profile was good, (monitor) the settings good...

We tested a black and white ramp with lab settings... bad outcome.. unreadable since the first quarter of the ramp... 
Nothing was enough to sort out the problem.. DARK PRINTS.
I read on this forum about a trick... color density set to -12; I tested it, but is not enough.
Do someone know more about this kind of problems?

Could be a hardware issue?

-- hide signature --

Some of my pictures: https://500px.com/giuseppetorre

UlysseITA's gear list:UlysseITA's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X20 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5DS +5 more
Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow