Good bag for concert photography

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,510
Good bag for concert photography

I have a particular set of needs and concerns when in comes to concert photography. Most of my work is in small clubs and house shows (e.g. living rooms and basements). For these shows, my chosen gear is:

• DSLR size camera with VG
  • 4 fast prime lenses (specific ones might vary)
  • Side strap
  • Small miscellaneous (wipes, extra card, etc)

That's it. No flash, no large lenses, no tripod. The venue is often crowded and hectic, so in addition to my gear, I need a bag that is:

• Unobtrusive (large backpacks will not make me any friends)
  • Waterproof (mostly beer, but sweat and possibly rain)
  • Easily accessible (reach in a grab a lens with minimal fuss)

The Peak Design Everyday Sling 10L is, so far, the best I have found that satisfies all of the above. In particular, the way the dividers are designed to fold and "snap" into shape allows me to stack two lenses. I can create a little ledge by folding down part of the divider, this then separates the two lenses stacked on either side of the bag (I put the camera/VG into the center). It might be possible to use the dividers in another bag to get the same advantage, but I see no reason to since the bag is otherwise quite good.

The pouch on the side facing outward as you wear it is expandable via adjustable straps. I could easily put another lens in there, even a larger prime or zoom. There are plenty of pockets of various sizes in various places for various accessories. The top flap flips out away from your body, this makes accessing gear easy and safe. I am able to do lens swaps quite easily, even in crowds.

Downsides: not many. The shoulder strap is of sufficient length, and adjustable, but the padding is off if you let the length out. I have other strap pads that I needed to add to it. The biggest problem i have is that when I take the bag off my shoulder, it does not rest upright on a flat surface. The bottom is angled so it flops over. This might be an intentional design, but for me it is quite annoying. Overall, that's really all I can complain about and that's not much.

For events where I need to bring more gear, I have to use a larger bag. You can't fight math, and volume is volume and more and larger gear take up more space. But for most of my work this bag is perfectly sized. If your needs are similar to mine, this bag is worth a close look.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
MediaArchivist's score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow