new Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 again not for Sony A-mount .

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,145
Re: new Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 again not for Sony A-mount .

Chris Malcolm wrote:

Mava wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7006534683/tamron-introduces-affordable-17-35mm-f2-8-4-full-frame-lens-for-canon-and-nikon

Finally the perfect wide zoom lens i am looking for and ofcourse again not for Sony A-mount

The Tamron SP 15-30/2.8 is a bit havy and bulky and i don’t need a constant 2.8 so this would have been the perfect alternative for me but like all interesting stuff again not for Sony A-mount .

I am convinced the Tamron will be a nice quality lens like all the rest the produce lately .

So please Tamron .... MAKE THIS LENS FOR A-MOUNT USERS TOO !!!!

An important reason why Tamron and other 3rd party lens makers are ignoring the A-mount is that the A-mount is now the only mount which still uses mechanical spring and lever aperture control. That's another reason why Sony must update the A-mount.

I'm puzzled why Sony, the great technical innovator who's put so much effort into developing new electronic & digital technology to replace the old mechanical clockwork of the SLR, hasn't yet updated the A-mount to include electronic aperture control. I'm hoping it's because they're planning to include it with another more difficult A-mount upgrade.

That may depend on whether going for electronic aperture control removes backwards compatability though, as many of us have an extensive collection of lenses using the mechanical aperture control that we would not wish to give up. This is also part of Sony's committment to keeping the original Minolta lens mount going, when they took it over from Konica-Minolta. And tbh let's face it, Sigma and Tamron know how to make lenses with the mechanical aperture control because they have done so in the past. On their part I believe it's pure economics - they just don't see the sales returns being worth it, in terms of releasing an a-mount version of their new lenses. I can't believe that it's because they can't figure out how to make mechanical aperture versions of their new lenses - they just don't want to.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow