Canon 6D Product Photography Focus

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Sittatunga Contributing Member • Posts: 794
Re: Canon 6D Product Photography Focus

DVideo wrote:

Wondering how I can keep all parts of a product in sharper focus.

Using a Canon 6D, Canon Mark II 100mm lens f8.0 1/80 ISO 250. I've tried other settings, but I didn't want to make the aperture too large for fear it would make the edges blurrier. I didn't want to make the aperture too small because then I might introduce blur or noise.

Attaching a sample product photo.

Notice how the edges of the cellophane are more blurry compared to the label?

Maybe I'm just too critical about the sharpness at 100%?

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!

Basically use a tripod, ISO 100 and stop right down. Don't worry about diffraction, you will lose a lot more detail due to limitted depth of field than you will through diffraction.  If you can't get enough depth of field at the minimum aperture of your lens the best alternator is focus stacking, which is a whole new ball game. Let me explain.

Traditionally the second sharpest lens in any 35mm camera system was the 50mm standard lens, which is why it only stopped down to f/16. The sharpest lenses in the system were there macro lenses. Mine stops down to f/32. That's because, unless you are copying text, test charts or flat artwork square to the camera, depth of field is a far bigger constraint on sharpness than diffraction.

The depth of field scales on these lenses were generally calculated for 12"x8"prints (3600x2400 pixels) or roughly A4 size. The circle of confusion used was just under 0.03mm which corresponds to the standard of sharpness you would expect from a lens working at f/45.

Depth of field isn't about maximum sharpness, it's about good enough for the purpose of the final image.

If you're worried about keeping the maximum possible resolution there's little point in moving away to increase depth of field and then cropping. Your maximum possible resolution will decrease in step with the crop ratio. You would do better to frame the subject as normal and stop right down.

At this sort of distance the depths of field before and behind the focus point are more or less equal.  Use a tape measure to work out how much of the subject needs to be in sharp focus and focus half way in between those limits.   At image sizes greater than 1:10 the focal length of your lens has a negligible effect on depth of field.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow