Which ultrawide zoom for Nikon full frame?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yodog Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Which ultrawide zoom for Nikon full frame?

I'm getting more and more addicted to the full frame experience and have most of the focal lengths covered except for ultrawide. Using DX, I have done some real estate on the side and enjoy landscape photography with the old Sigma 10-20mm. After sifting through the options, I think I have almost reached the point of paralysis by analysis...

The choices seem to have narrowed to 3...

• Tamron 15-30 f/2.8
  • Sigma 14-24 Art f/2.8
  • Nikon 16-35 f/4

Well darn, I missed out on the Nikon rebate on the 16-35. Not a big deal but saving a c-note is always nice. I have the Nikon 24-120 f/4 and the 70-200 f/4, so this would be the poor man's holy trinity. I like that it has VR and can take filters. It's also smaller and lighter. It seems to get knocked for corner sharpness or lack thereof.

The Tamron looks sharp and contrasty, has vibration reduction, and is f/2.8. It can't take filters easily and not sure about the build. I became a bit disillusioned after reading Roger Cicala of Lens Rental tearing one apart because of zoom jams and finding tiny shim washers...in one case there were 8 stacked on just one screw.  That seems like a lot.

The newer Sigma sounds really nice but no VR and can't take filters easily. it's the widest zoom at 14mm.

I realize there's some zoom range differences there. Anyone else in the same boat wondering which way to go? At this point, I am leaning toward the Sigma. Would it be logical to think that if one doesn't really need VR, that the Sigma might be a bit more sturdy because it doesn't have all the extra VR stuff that could be more delicate. Is that even a valid concern? I would appreciate any thoughts out there. I know it's my decision, but I'd like to hear from others with experience in choosing.

Thanks,

Mike

-- hide signature --

Aim High - Lay Low

yodog's gear list:yodog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D610 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Yxa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow