12-40 vs 12-100?

Started Oct 20, 2017 | Questions thread
Colin Smith1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,002
Re: A Tale of Two Kits

dmanthree wrote:

I have both. This weekend, i'm shooting events on Saturday and Sunday, and will use different kits for each shoot. Saturday, there will be cyclists coming at me, crowd shots I want to isolate, as well as impromptu group shots, sponsor shots and whatever. For that shoot, I'll bring the "holy trio" to have it all covered. Also, for the cyclists coming at me I like the 40-150 for shallower DoF and faster focusing. The 12-40 will be used for nearly everything else.

Sunday's shoot will be people shots, candids, and grab shots as people get off the returning boats. For those shots, since I don't really care about DoF and there's no action,and I may need the extra reach quickly, without changing lenses, the 12-100 will be all I need.

I have both, and use both as the situation dictates.

I agree, but I couldn't afford both lenses so I sold the 12-40 and purchased the 12-100.  Even with the slower speed of F4, the double IBIS compensates well and the lens is sharp at all focal lengths and apertures.  I wanted a zoom lens that in most cases, covers the foal lengths that is use most.  The 12-100 does that well and isn't a lot heavier then the 12-40.

-- hide signature --

Colin Smith

Colin Smith1's gear list:Colin Smith1's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow