Printing borderless, despite it eventually ruining your printer, per print can it be worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PrintingMonster New Member • Posts: 2
Printing borderless, despite it eventually ruining your printer, per print can it be worth it?

I use a Pro-100S and there are no rebates in my country so I paid higher than RRP. I wanted a very popular printer that has a lot of online discussion going on about it. I have read comments saying that people have printed many hundreds of prints borderless and despite a little mess inside their printer it still prints fine. And other comments say that they kept on printing borderless and eventually their printers just stop working, as you can't even get to the waste ink tank in the pro-100. Seems like you have to buy a new one when this happens.

So the price of the printer divided by the number of borderless prints you can expect gives you a rough cost of printing borderless. A new pro-100s is about 550 USD in my country. If I might be able to get 2,000 borderless prints before it gives up the ghost, that's just 25 cents extra per borderless print, on top of all the bordered prints I might do.

Of course that 550 USD might be better spent on the longest dual rail rotatrim you can afford, and just trimming all your big prints down a bit when borderless is required. 2,000 prints is 8,000 edges to trim. That's a lot of edges to trim and a bit of time to spend, when whoever the print is for they might have been happy with a borderless print and some of their photo cropped out.

I totally understand the logic of avoiding borderless printing because that overspray ink has to go somewhere and that somewhere is inside of your printer. And these printer aren't cheap where I'm from. But people seem to love borderless, especially on smaller prints. People seem to expect borderless for small prints especially. Canon even show their Pixma printers doing borderless prints on the box.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow