Usage criteria for keeping a lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,517
FWIW IMHO LOL

noggin2k1 wrote:

• 55mm 1.8. I honestly can't remember the last time I used this lens,

If there is nothing "special" about it, and you don't feel the magic of a "normal" lens, then yeah, lighten your load.

• 35mm 1.4. It's a heavily used lens, but there's rationale here. Firstly, I rarely shoot wide open, usually f2 upwards. Secondly, I always put a small crop on the 35mm to taste, but nowhere near 50mm. I'm hoping that the Batis 40mm will be real and a delight, and should be a better fit for me, whilst fitting in with rendering with other Batis lenses, and being less temperamental in use than the 35 1.4.

Are your crops always perfectly centered? If not, the extra width is giving you some creative room in post that a longer lens won't. Personally, and this is just me, I like using lenses from different manufacturers and eras so I get different "looks" beyond just focal length. I usually carry two Zeiss lenses as well as two Minoltas. Sometimes a Tamron or Sigma thrown in the mix.

• 100mm STF. So here's the real conundrum. I'll start out by saying I adore this lens -utterly love it's rendering, however there's a big but. I simply don't use this for weddings as I like uniformity across my images, and the STF images stand out a mile next to others.

I hear ya. I have the 135 STF and rarely use it. But it might be the last lens I give up, because I want that "stand out a mile" look. That's what I bought it for

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow