Compact nifty 50ish mm for a7iii?

Started Jul 30, 2018 | Questions thread
OP jimkohn Regular Member • Posts: 400
Re: Compact nifty 50ish mm for a7iii?

voronspb wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

The standard Sony 50 1.8 is the only native compact 50mm currently available on E mount.

50/1.8 is only marginally smaller than 55/1.8.

To my opinion, these lenses are quite compact when used with full frame body. With Sony 35/2.8 ZA the overall camera weight and dimensions don't change too much. The camera will not become truly compact.

Thank you. Yeah, it's a shame the 50mm 1.8 gets such mediocre reviews. I'd hate to pair such a fine camera with a lens that compromises some of it's best features (such as  great autofocus and image quality). The 55mm 1.8 is would definitely be the right answer when size and weight are not an issue. I'm kind of surprised Sony (or someone) doesn't offer a kick ass normal prime in a more compact package. Maybe zooms are the trend and there is not sufficient demand for more compact normal primes. I love the 55 1.8, but it's a tank!

Thank you for the comments; I was hoping maybe there was something out there that I had missed.

jimkohn's gear list:jimkohn's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow