Compact nifty 50ish mm for a7iii?

Started Jul 30, 2018 | Questions thread
goodbokeh
goodbokeh Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: Compact nifty 50ish mm for a7iii?

jimkohn wrote:

A while back I switched from Micro 4/3 to APS-C with an a6500. I am blown away by the improved resolution, and combined with the Sony Zeiss 35mm 2.8 (52mm equivalent) I have a nice compact kit. 50mm is my go to focal length for all around shooting.

Now considering moving to full frame with the a7iii as that body is still relatively small and light, I like the the control layout, improved face/eye detect and focus tracking, and of course full frame resolution. The challenge I am facing is identifying a small and light 50ish mm prime. The Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8 seems to be the "normal" lens of choice to match with that camera, but that lens on an a7iii ceases to be "small and light", especially compared to the 35mm 2.8 I'm using now on my a6500.

I would like the form factor of the 35mm 2.8 on the a7iii, but then I'd be shooting with a 35mm lens, not in the 50mm range that I prefer. Is there a good option for a compact normal focal length prime for the a7iii? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Jim, the 35/2.8 Zony is a unique lens and there is not a 50mm FE lens that is of similar size and weight. There are rumors that sometime in the future Zeiss will come out with a line of small/pancake primes but the timeline and veracity of that rumor are unknown.

Moving on from 50mm, another lens to consider is the 24/2.8 Samyang/Rokinon.

goodbokeh's gear list:goodbokeh's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow