CK's Lens Post: Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8, a few images

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 5,696
CK's Lens Post: Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8, a few images

The Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8 is an odd lens in Leica's lens line-up. It is an achromatic (i.e., 2-element-in-1-group) design, and the only other R lens of this type is Leica R Telyt-S 800mm f/6.3, which is a cemented triplet design with the middle element using rare earth (?). This Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8 has been in my closet for years and is the only Leica R lens left in my collections. I took it out for a spin with a Sony A7 II.

This lens is rather unique.  It uses push-pull for focusing.  The lens front section has a button.  One pushes that button to move the front section for focusing.  When the subject is in focus, one releases the button to lock the front section in position.  This does look like a user-friendly design.  However, in some situations such as focusing at a long distance where lens movement is very short, releasing the button could in fact cause the front section to be locked at a location very slightly away from the needed one.  Additionally, this lens can be separated into two sections for storage.  But, frankly speaking, I never did this.

Here are some images.

The first is my standard test scene, a bridge 800m away. If you look at the large image, you will see that the center portion is rather sharp. However, the border area does not look good for a Leica lens. Note that for some reason, I forgot to reset some parameters. So, I have to use Auto-Level to adjust exposure.

Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8 at f/11 (800m)

This one is the same, i.e., Auto-Level applied. Again, the center is very good, but border and corner do not look like from a Leica lens.

Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8 at f/11 (600m)

This one is directly out from the camera, i.e., no post-processing applied

Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8 at f/11 (400m)

Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8 at f/11 (100m)

Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8 at f/11 (70m)

Leica Telyt-R 400mm f/6.8 at f/11 (20m)

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
Sony Alpha a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow