X-Trans demosaic algorithms differences

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 12,633
Re: OK close as I can get for now

sluggy_warrior wrote:

57even wrote:

Played with them for half an hour. City scene seems pretty close - would redo colour and reduce sharpening on beach scene if I had more time. Tried to match sky but threw some other colours off. Still, close enough for now.

Back to the treadmill for the next 10 hour stint!

Thanks much! From a quick look, I think whatever the problem was, Adobe has resolved it in your version of LR (latest?), small details have pretty good color retention, with good micro-contrast. There isn't much difference between your LR output and my DT output. There is still very minor differences in the green foliage/trees, but they only shown up when pushing sharpening, but I'm not drawing conclusion as those could be the difference in the sharpening algorithm/method.

Glad you found it useful. For the record, these were developed in LR CC, but with sharpening reduced to 10% and NR reduced to zero.

They were then opened in Photoshop and had smart sharpening applied, which uses a combination of deconvolution and USM. I believe Darktable and RT use something similar.

NR was reapplied at final stage. Once you have a decent TIFF file and the detail is recovered, it seems to work OK.

From your images, the sharpening radius in DT seems pretty high. To make them look similar I had to add a high radius USM after the deconvolution.

Also, from a quick test with RAF from X-T100 reviews, I can confirm that the extra-sharpness and some of the clarity in small details indeed come from the denoise combo in darktable. It'll be interesting to learn about Adobe's demosaic, but it's probably moot at this point. We should be out there shooting photos instead of dissecting JPGs

Yep, something not right in Lightroom's NR routine.

Unfortunately, that means whatever problems that I mentioned earlier in the first post with SOOC JPGs, those are unlikely to be fixed as camera firmware is complicated (and may depends on the actual hardware doing the conversion). If you care about the image quality at small details, definitely shoot RAW and do the conversion with the latest software.

I have always had better result in RAW, especially with Bayer. You can do a lot more with a quad-core i5 and 4GB graphics card than you can with a camera processor.

I'll be busy at a 5-full-day summit this weekend, being technical support and photographer there from 7am-7pm, won't be able to respond much. At least I'll get to put the X-T20 to its first real test, got about 2,700 shots last year with D5100 and D5500. The 1,100 shots from Hawaii trip two weeks ago were mostly fun and personal, like a practice round (only got through half of them so far)

Have fun

I skimmed quickly through your other post "How to bluff at photography", kinda feel related. I'm not a professional photographer, only have the technical skills to shoot documentary. I shoot a lot because I'm not confident in my skill, usually only about 1/3 of them survive final culling/picking, but we all learn from making mistakes. I feel I'm lucky to have these events to hone my hobby, as things around me are quite boring that I could go on for a few weeks without even a single shot.

The more you cull, the sooner you figure out what's working and what isn't.

Documentary photography can produce great work if you take inspiration from those who mastered it.

-- hide signature --

Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western Civilisation?"
Mahatma Gandhi: "I think it would be a very good idea!"

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow