Interesting Canon/Nikon mirrorless survey--my two cents

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,204
Interesting Canon/Nikon mirrorless survey--my two cents

I just took DPreview's mirrorless survey for Canon and Nikon. Pretty interesting and sensible results for the most part, IMO.

Just about everybody wants full compatibility/performance with existing lenses. Yup--nobody wants to muck around with yet another format/system.

High resolution sensor. I think this is a given and I didn't spend one of my three votes on it.

Pleased: a sports-ready AF system was very popular. People seem to realize how important a hard-core AF system is--I didn't realize others appreciated it as much as I.

Lifelike viewfinder--hm, O.K. Zero lag time and great sharpness is nice--one of the reasons DSLR remains so popular.

Good battery life only rated half way. I guess people figure they can stick an extra battery or two in their pockets or attach a grip. I remember how the original 1D ate batteries and it was pretty annoying.

In body stabilization--might be a survey error since Canon uses in-lens stabilization and Nikon use the body.

Substantial grip--rated very low. Perhaps they should have surveyed it as "ergonomics." Also there was a somewhat similar listing "Responsive controls/interface" and "configurable controls/interface." This whole range of questions is one area Sony needs to work on. I think DPreview should have tossed out several of these questions and just went with "ergonomics."

"Dual-card slots" and "Effective weather sealing" was listed lower than I thought it should be.

Anyway, I hope Nikon and Canon bring something groundbreaking to the table or I'll be sticking to DSLR for awhile longer. Looking forward to what they cook up.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow