Very disappointed with MacBook Pro 2018

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
William Carson
William Carson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,852
Re: Very disappointed with MacBook Pro 2018

graybalanced wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

I already schlep a lot of photo gear. There's no place in my kit for a 6lb. laptop. I was delighted to replace my old 4.5lb. 13" MBP with a newer 3lb. MBP.

As much as I get annoyed by what Apple chooses to leave out so that they can go thinner, I have to say the same. I grudgingly admit to appreciating "thin and light" very much.

Especially for travel, as checked-luggage risks force more gear into carry-on, and carry-on restrictions and sizes get tighter at the same time, it is increasingly difficult to put up with the additional bulk needed to safely transport a thick, heavy laptop.

But it is true even for reducing the size and weight that must be carried around town, especially if camera gear is also being carried. I managed to drop size and weight of that by going micro 4/3, shrinking the computer was step #2. Both changes have thankfully saved considerable weight.

It is important to ask, how much thicker is 3 mm? Really almost nothing but it could bring a lot of improvement by way of cooling. It is .125 of an inch. Nothing really. And not much added weight for what certain customers would choose if it were offered. It is interesting the above comment that most professional photo editing takes place in a stable environment where larger computers (iMac or Mac Pro) do the work. So, laptops are specifically designed to be 'on the road' and only supplimentary to the serious work done. I disagree with that vision of the MBP and wish for an even larger 17" version that would meet the demands of all pro users.

"...apple should make their laptops like 2-3 mm thicker, and add some extra vents to make the air flow resistance lower, and have a slighter bigger cross section of the fans for better flow. I am sure they can strike a better balance between form and function. That said... I consider myself a power user. I do programming, loads of photo editing, and some gaming. For gaming I use a eGPU with a gtx 1070 Ti. And for the rest the internal gpu is sufficient..." - Lawny 13

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
EG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
EG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
EG
EG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow