Lumix G9 or Sony A7 III?

Started Jul 27, 2018 | Questions thread
aayjay
aayjay Contributing Member • Posts: 633
Re: Lumix G9 or Sony A7 III?

I have both these cameras and it's a tough decision. For low-light and higher dynamic range, the A73 outshines the G9. With that stated, here are the things I like about the G9 compared to the A73:

• Ergonomics. The G9 has a much better grip than the A73 and it feels so much better in the hand.
  • Menu. Eventually you will get used to the A73's menu system but the G9 is much more intuitive.
  • Video. More options on the G9 and the color right out of the camera is better than the A73. The A73 has slog which does help with highlight-rolloff, but I always feel like I'm tweaking skin tones on it to look more "Canon-like" whereas the G9's color science right out of the camera is excellent.
  • Autofocus. The G9 is pretty good for stills and video, but the A73 is better...but not by that much.
  • Cost of lenses. Sony glass is ridiculously expensive compared to equivalent M43 glass. You do however have to pay attention to lower f-numbers to compensate for depth-of-field compared to FF cameras.
  • Weight of lenses. Oh, how I enjoy the light-weight lenses of M43 cameras!
  • Already mentioned, but worth repeating...IBIS is spectacular on the G9. Beats the A73 handily.

The bottom line is, I use the A73 for wide-angle shots and low-light astrophotography. For about everything else, I enjoy using the G9.

aayjay's gear list:aayjay's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a9 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow