Lumix G9 or Sony A7 III?

Started Jul 27, 2018 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pe tru New Member • Posts: 3
Lumix G9 or Sony A7 III?

I have a Nikon D3100 and I want to invest in a new camera. G9 and A73 seem to be two powerhouses but of course each is part of different leagues.

In my opinion, the difference between M43 and full-frame is rather technical and I believe it is possible to take pictures with both systems which can look identical to the bare eye.

The size and the weight don't matter to me and I actually like when the camera feels more sturdy, the G9 being more lightweight is not a big benefit to me.

Regarding the sensors, dynamic range looks fine to me on G9, but it does come short on high-ISO. Surely sensor-wise A73 is the way to go. Plus, the auto-focus is much better. In the end Sony has a better offer, if we consider only the body.

The reason I am inclined to buy G9 is the Leica 16-60 kit lens which must be much better than A73's 28-70 kit lens (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I want to start with the kit lens because they the most affordable and versatile and with time maybe buy a few more.

I am amateur and one of my reasons for this purchase is to get a camera with which I can learn photography and also use it for at least 5 years to come. I am also thinking of waiting to see what Nikon has to offer in terms of full-frame mirrorless, however I think this is just the beginning for them (*ahem Nikon 1), Sony and Panasonic seem to be more advances with mirrorless technology and Nikon and Canon have a bit of catch-up to do. So, I am not sure if it's worth the

The video is important to me and I think both G9 and A73 can deliver great results, even though Panasonic seems to be the one more "specialized" in the video domain.

The bottom line for me is that I want something versatile. I believe both cameras are good for any scenarios, except for G9 when shooting sports on a professional level. I believe I won't have to shoot sports any time soon, especially as a pro.

So, is it worth to buy G9 just for the 16-60 kit lens? I will only buy another lens after about 2 years.

Any advice would be of great value, thanks a lot for reading

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3100 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow