Which OM-D for enthusiastic traveller on budget

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
drmarkf Regular Member • Posts: 370
Re: Which OM-D for enthusiastic traveller on budget

Personally for travel I’d go for a second hand 5ii or 1i because of the weather (and dust) sealing and handling. Good examples of both are now quite readily available, including from reliable commercial suppliers. I’ve got a 10ii adapted for IR, and although it’s nice the handling is cramped for me.

A few points between the 5ii and 1i (I’ve owned both in the past):

5ii is significantly smaller and lighter, although it’s much less comfortable to hold in the hand all day and the smaller real estate means there are fewer hard buttons, so making adjustments instantly is often slower. It is much better for long-exposure landscape shooting (>60s exposures have lower noise) and obviously the HR mode is useful as long as you’ve got a good tripod and your scene is static.

1i is a much better street and sports camera: continuous AF is miles better (although neither is much good at tracking focus) and I found it did single AF better in lower light. The M1i is perfectly useful for field sports in reasonable light, while the 5 I found essentially useless for moving targets.

There are lots of good second hand standard zooms available, too (various 12-42, 12-35, 12-40) as well as the 12-32 (which I’ve also owned, and is very compact and pretty good optically).

Hope that helps.

drmarkf's gear list:drmarkf's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow