Sony 24-105 f4 soft right corners?

Started Jul 26, 2018 | Discussions thread
ArtAlt
ArtAlt Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Sony 24-105 f4 soft right corners?

mohxinn wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved to Sony camp I bougth a Sony A7 III together with a Sony Zeiss 24-70 f4 and a Sony 85mm 1.8 G lens.

Yesterday I decided to try a Sony 24-105 f4 since I read about the raving reviews and how it trumps the Zeiss 24-70 f4 despite having a longer zoom range.

I did a quick test between the 2 lenses to check how much better the 24-105 was.

Below are center and corner crops (left and right) from the 2 lenses. The test target was a bench of matte magazines pages fastened to a wall. The test was done 24mm at F4.
Tripod was used and SteadyShot was disabled for both lenses.

As expected Sony 24-105 is sharper in the center and a lot sharper in the left corner. However, it seems to be less sharp in the corners on the right comparerd to the Zeiss. Does this means it is decentered? Or is this a testing error?

I very much look forward to your valuable comments and suggestions!

Regards,
Mohsin
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/90692793@N03/

Is there a reliable way to assure that the plane of the test chart and plane of the sensor are parallel?

-- hide signature --
 ArtAlt's gear list:ArtAlt's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow