Help with platine, baryta, and Softgloss Rag papers?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NAwlins Contrarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,477
Help with platine, baryta, and Softgloss Rag papers?

I'm having a problem finding the 'best' papers for certain prints, and hoping one or more of you can offer solutions or at least strong suggestions. I print on dye-ink printers, an Epson R280 and home and occasionally a Canon Pro-100 at work. In the quest for what's best, my findings, problems, and questions are:

(1) Can you suggest a good way to eliminate or at least greatly reduce bronzing with Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag 310? This is a stunningly beautiful paper, capable of showing an excellent range of color and density. But as soon as you look from any appreciable angle, bad bronzing is very evident in the image areas anywhere close to maximum black. Yes, I am using the recommended media setting (Canson says Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss for the Pro-100) and the appropriate ICC profile (downloaded from Canson).

(2) Can you suggest a good way to improve the abrasion resistance / durability of Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag 310, Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta 310, and Red River Palo Duro Softgloss Rag? These are all very nice papers, but they're delicate. IMO once you put glass over the print, you hide much of the beauty that's there. But it really doesn't take much to scratch any of them. Could they withstand even occasional dusting? I'm skeptical.

FWIW and IMOPO, Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta 310 may be my overall favorite for many of my B&W pictures; and Red River Palo Duro Softgloss Rag seems almost (but not quite) as good in color and density ranges as Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag 310, but without the latter's bronzing. The Palo Duro Softgloss Rag also has just a hair more gloss / sheen than does the Platine Fibre Rag; neither is a true matte.

Also, to be clear, I use a variety of other papers for various prints: metallic, glossy, semi-gloss, luster, and matte all have their places. But I haven't had real problems with any of those--well, other than the Pro-100's annoying margin limits with Canon Pro Premium Matte PM-101.

Thanks!

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow