Epson Legacy sample prints giveaway - observations

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,248
Epson Legacy sample prints giveaway - observations

Epson offers sample prints of its papers. I got a set of sample prints of four Legacy papers: Fiber, Etching, Baryta and Platine. Per a questionnaire, they were made with the Ultrachrome HD ink set, used by the Sure Color series of printers. Thank you, Epson.

All four photos by three photographers were in the same style, which might be called fine-art saturation. The colors are pushed beyond realism to my eye but not garish. One of the photos can be seen here.

If that is not your style, you have difficulty imagining how your photos would print. If it is your style, by all means get the samples and see which paper you like. Per an old thread, ten years ago you could upload a photo for a sample print.

The prints have unprinted margins of a half inch on three sides and one and a quarter inch on the bottom, so you can see paper white and examine the texture.

The Fiber and Etching matte papers have shallow unpronounced texture. Neither is like Canson BFK Rives (succeeded by Printmaking Rag). I really like the latter. You don't see its texture at a respectable viewing distance, but it conveys 3-D "pop" and great detail.

Similarly, I like Moab Juniper Baryta for its texture, which is stronger than Legacy Baryta in an analogous way.

The Platine seemed a bit more glossy than Canson Platine, but without comparing the same image printed on both that is just a guess.

The prints came with a lush 42-page booklet about all Epson papers, not only Legacy, with specs including ISO brightness.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow