Is the 24-120 f/4 any good?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mach Schnell Senior Member • Posts: 2,829
Is the 24-120 f/4 any good?

How many times has this topic been beat to death?  Yet, the question comes up again and again.  Lately, a lot of folk have given the lens a decidedly mediocre rating.  I think they are selling the lens short.  Will it live up to the quality of a good prime?  Not quite.  And it certainly cannot shoot at f/2 or f/2.8.  But the lens holds it own quite well in the zoom world, in my opinion.

Here are a couple of examples for you to make your own conclusions.  Both taken with my D800e on a solid tripod using the best possible technique (mirror up, exposure delay, remote release).  Here is a shot from Honfleur France:

And here is a 100% crop from slightly off center:

Here is another example, from the Lake Shore Drive bridge over the Chicago river:

And a 100% crop:

NEF images processed in DXO Photolab.  Comments welcome.

Mach Schnell's gear list:Mach Schnell's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +12 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow