Need an super ultralight tripod for a 4000 mile bike trip

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,094
Re: Need an super ultralight tripod for a 4000 mile bike trip

I have toured thousands of miles by bicycle and lots of ways to save weight and not resort to a wimpy tripod. A non-tripod support like a Justin-Clamp is a good alternative. Cullmann makes good legs with ball heads that are light at 17 oz in total with a load capacity of 8 lbs. which is enough for up to a full frame camera and a 24-70mm or 24-105mm lens. You can save weight and space by going to a MFT camera and zoom lens.

If you have a buddy then heavy items like a tent or cook stove and fuel bottle and bike tools can be spread across two bikes. On my first 1000 mile trip my bike load was 25 lbs. but on my second trip it was down to 15 lbs. and nothing of importance was left behind. The only time weight is a factor is when pushing up a grade and an extra 10 lbs. on the bike in terms of gear or an extra 10 lbs of body weight is all the same to your muscles.

-- hide signature --

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. -- Herman Melville

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow