GX9 and kit 12-60 or 14-140mm F3.5-5.6?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
digitalflack New Member • Posts: 13
GX9 and kit 12-60 or 14-140mm F3.5-5.6?

I can't find a clear explanation in the documentation.

I have a GX1, GX7 and now a GX9. I already had four Lumix lenses, but to get a GX9 in the US, I needed to buy a kit with the Lumix 12-60.

I've been happy with the H-FS14140 G Vario ASPH Power O.I.S. (14-140mm.  But its not clear if the dual IBIS in the GX9 integrates with newer software in the latest Lumix 12-60 or works just as well with the older 14-140.
Since I have a longer telephoto 100-300mm, I want to know whether the stabilization in the 12-60mm will lead to sharper images than the 14-140mm on the GX9

Frustrations:

DXO doesn't cover Lumix lenses and cameras anymore, any testing alternatives (not specification comparisons)

Panasonic doesn't seem to have clear explanations of the differences in lenses labeled:

• Vario, Vario G, and Vario GX    (GX, used occasionally in 'copy' seems to mean professional - but nothing shows up in the specs)
  • O.I.S. , Power O.I.S   and Mega Optical I.S.
  • 12-60 is the only "Dual I.S." lens meaning in body and lens?  Or something about the five axis stabilization in the body?  Excess branding words?
  • Why bother putting ASPH on all lenses? Aren't they all aspherical?

IBIS I and IBIS II; GH cameras have IBIS II, but even the very recent GX9 only has IBIS I.

Am I just missing some table on the Panasonic support pages that breaks all these out over the various lines?

Thanks for any insights.

JF

digitalflack's gear list:digitalflack's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow