Actual shutter actuation

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Senior Member • Posts: 2,276
Re: Actual shutter actuation

Mirrorless Josh wrote:

Hi there

I just purchased a Sony A7 from the well known retailer sold as 'new'. However on receipt the box didn't seem right, cables etc wern't in place, the Sony booklet appeared 'used' and was a very minor mark on lens mount! I then did a shutter actuation count using the tool on shutter counter.com, this gave 3 image counts in the huge exif metadata. Image count 1 and 2 read 20 (the shots I HAD taken), however on image count 3 it read near on 69,000 images. Could this eg be a refurb where they've tried deleting the shutter/image counts?

Many thanks for input, quite desperate for quick resolution

Cheers

Josh

The disturbed contents of the box alone would ring alarm bells to me. Presumably then, the box wasn't sealed?

I've also used Shutercounter to check the actuations on a camera that I've bought and so far, the results have always tallied with the figure that the buyers have supplied.

I'm slightly puzzled though as to how you achieved two or three differing results?

Another way to check the number of actuations is to open an image, I think a Jpeg. will be easiest, using Picasa and in the "Properties" column on the right, there's a figure marked "image number".  I think that you'll find that that's your shutter count.

It's the fifth box from the bottom of the list.

I don't have a recent unprocessed Jpeg. to check via Shuttercounter but I've just looked at a recent processed one using Picasa and the "image number" does indeed coincide with what I reckon the camera had taken at that point.

Could be worth checking an new image using both methods?

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow