New SEL50F18 Chromatic Abberation

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NotAPhotog Regular Member • Posts: 109
New SEL50F18 Chromatic Abberation

Today I bought a copy of a SEL50F18 and was allowed to test it in store on a A6500.

I took a photo of an A7II on display and there was visible green CA around the edges of the camera when zoomed in. I stopped it down to f2.8, f5.6 and f8 and I did notice some acceptable reduction of CA.

I took a photo of a small figurine on a box of another lens and noticed visible CA on some text. There was some slight reduction in CA when I stopped it down on the text but it never fully went away.

Finally, I took a photo of the sales person with the 50mm wide open. It was slightly awkward zooming in to the edges of his head to check for any CA, but it had to be done. Strangely enough, I didn't notice any CA on the edges of his hair, face or even his uniform.

This was a small camera store with limited stock, so they didn't have too many copies of the SEL50F18 lying around, but they have a very good reputation.

The sales person was patient, even waited on me while I played around with a new Fuji X-T100, and was helpful during my test shots. Since I didn't notice any CA in my portrait shot, which is the only thing I plan on shooting with this lens, I decided it couldn't be too bad of a lens, so I bought it. The lens was obviously brand new, never opened in mint condition, and the glass elements in the front and back were flawless.

This is my first prime lens, and I have to admit that the bokeh really sold it for me.

I couldn't help but wonder - how many of you would've rejected the lens after seeing the CA in so many shots? Was I wrong to accept this copy of the lens?

Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow