Custom A7 accessories (plate, grip extension and cover for orange ring)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bismuth New Member • Posts: 5
Custom A7 accessories (plate, grip extension and cover for orange ring)

I was looking for a bottom plate for my new A7 III but since I couldn't find one that fit all my criteria I just decided to design my own. I wanted a plate with the following features:
- anti-twist

- ability to attach a strap for sideways carry

- Arca Swiss compatible

- a small grip extension since I find the standard grip to be just a little too small

- access to battery without removing the bottom plate and without removing the battery door from the camera (like on the ReallyRightStuff plates that let you attach the battery door to the bottom of the plate)

While I was designing the CAD models I decided to also design a cover for the (in my opinion) slightly annoying bright orange ring

So here we go:

Grip and ring cover are laser sintered nylon powder that is dyed black, plate is CNC machined "aircraft grade" (as marketing people like to call it) aluminum and type-II anodized for wear resistance

The battery door opens just far enough (approx. 85°) so the battery can be removed without issue. The second thread at the edge of the plate is for the possible future addition of an L-bracket

The grip is attached with two M3 cap screws and could easily be replaced with a larger grip extension similar to the one Sony sells but so far I am quite happy with the size. It gives just enough room for my pinky to rest.

The ring is pressure fit with one layer of Scotch tape on the inside to make it slide on and off a little easier while also protecting the metal ring from getting scuffed

I hope you like my little project. While the bottom plate has some minor cosmetic defects I am pretty happy with the result overall.

Sony a7 III Sony a7R III Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow