RAM and organizing the hard drives

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 2,038
RAM and organizing the hard drives

Hi

I need to get a new computer (laptop) and have a couple of questions.

1) Is it worth the huge price increase for 32GB RAM over 16GB? The main problem with my current computer is that is crashes from lack of RAM (it has 8GB). I already verified that's the reason. When it happens it needs a little more than 8GB, but who knows how much more. Stuff that causes crashing can be smart objects, combining many photos, trying to work with two programs (e.g. editing while another program is stacking), etc.

I don't know prices in other countries, but here, if I look at the website of one of the main stores, decent 16GB laptops start around $900. 32GB laptops start around $1,800. If I look at models that have what I want overall for both 16GB and 32GB, the difference is at least $800. Part of that is that models with 32GB come with some other upgrades that I don't need, while I can get 16GB models without them.

2) My current computer has one hard drive, a 500GB SSD. The new computer will probably have a small SSD and a large regular drive. My SSD is divided to two drives (C for OS and the installations of programs and E for everything else).

What I'd like to do is to put the 500GB SSD in the new computer (instead of the smaller SSD), make it only the C (OS and programs) drive, then turn the other large drive to E (or whatever letter) drive and have everything that is in E now there. Basically cancel the partition. Is that possible?

Thank you

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow