Please share experiences on Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
BSiler Regular Member • Posts: 235
Re: Please share experiences on Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2

As you may have seen on this forum, there are those who say it is almost never useful to  AF fine tune a lens, particularly a zoom lens.  But I'm not one of them.  Most of my primes were easily improved with some AF fine tuning.  However, with this Tamron, I have been unable to discern any AF issues.  I don't know if my testing method is fool proof, but I trust it.  I put the camera on a tripod and shoot a target that should bring out the best in the phase detect AF  (I use a target that I got from Steve Perry's website).  I shoot at shutter speeds fast enough to avoid camera shake and, even so, I shoot mirror up with a two second delay.  At various focal lengths and  target distances, I shoot one shot using the viewfinder AF and one shot with the live view AF.  Then I compare the images at 100% crop to see if the live view AF is consistently and significantly sharper than the phase detect AF.  With the Tamron, occaisonally the live view AF was a little sharper, but far more often, it was a tie.  So, in the end I concluded that fine tuning wasn't warranted.

BSiler's gear list:BSiler's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow