Milky Way, Lone Tree Hill, VT

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bmike
bmike Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
Milky Way, Lone Tree Hill, VT

Update on a previous thread, but this version is 16 panel (+4 static foreground) stitch of the Milky Way from Lone Tree Hill, Shelburne, VT. This is unstacked @ ISO 800 with my Canon M6 Mirrorless and the Sigma 35 1.4 @ f2.0 for 60s each panel.

Sky was tracked and stitched.

I have a second set of shots to stack / median for noise - but the shots look relatively clean in this version so I might not stack them.

I mis-calculated my framing with the trees and missed the Rho region - so I'll live with this one - but do a better job planning next time I set out to shoot.

8x10 crop without the foreground and trees:

I can do some more work in Ps for the sky glow / light pollution.

Lessons learned:

Pack of coyotes at night are really loud. Along with whatever they caught.

Shoot more than you need - I could have used another column to the right.

I need to get a polar scope for my Vixen. I feel like the tracking is a bit off. Aligned by compass, latitude angle and eyeing Polaris through the peek hole.

And I might need to bring my iPad and review a few test shots prior to starting a long sequence.

Wow, the sky moves fast, once you start - although it usually feels like forever when waiting for things to rise.

Shoot more forgeound than you need, and be patient with those to get better quality, and stack for noise.

The night sky is pleasantly bright. If I didn’t have to navigate a woods path I would have been able to get to the car without my headlamp.

C+C welcome, I'm still learning, and I learn something new each time I post.

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow