Going on Safari - Upgrade from X-E2 to X-T2 or wait for X-T3? XF 100-400mm?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Vic Chapman Veteran Member • Posts: 9,401
Re: Going on Safari - Upgrade from X-E2 to X-T2 or wait for X-T3? XF 100-400mm?

c0nfund0 wrote:

Trek of Joy wrote:

c0nfund0 wrote:

I'm going to Uganda for safari & gorilla in a couple month. Any tips/advice?

Apologies to the OP for going OT.

You might want to start a new thread, but I've been there too. I took my Sony gear, the 24-70 and 70-200. You can get so close to the gorillas that you don't need nearly as much reach. We opted for the medium length hike which was about 2-3 hours each way. We saw a group of about 12, and they're acclimated to people so they just go about their business with gawkers in from of them. Its a magical experience with only about 800 left in the world.

Here's my Uganda gallery, all the gorilla shots were with the two standard zooms, But most were with the 70-200. The landscapes were with the UWA zoom.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/trekofjoy/photos/?tab=album&album_id=814725222068213

Cheers

Chris

I was planning using 16-55 & 50-140 for the gorilla part. Seems comparable focal length to your Sony setup.

Wow, didn't know only 800 left in the world. Reminds me of news of 11 lions killed in Uganda earlier this year leaving only 19 remaining in the park. Sad.

definitely 100-400 as primary lens for safari portion. Unsure which would be my secondary lens 16-55 or 50-140.

Your 16-55 + 50-140 is an ideal setup for Gorillas and use the 16-55mm + 100 - 400mm for safari. I generally include not only landscapes (esp sun/down) but also wildlife, both single and in herds in the landscape to really give a sense of place so the 16-55 is a must.

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan. Writer, comedian, poet, Goon. 1918 - 2002

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow