Best use of Dynamic range

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WedrerWaas New Member • Posts: 3
Best use of Dynamic range

This is a two parts question.

Let’s imagine a photo in a beach of a model posing on the sand with a beautiful sunset in the background.

We don’t want the model to be a mere silhouette and we don’t want to lose the details on the beautiful sunset.

Finally, let’s say I don’t have strobes or reflectors to “compress” the DR.

This is indeed a classical situation where a wide dynamic range may come to the rescue.

Question 1: My workflow for post prod is quite the classical one: On Lightroom I apply various adjustments to the overall image, then I select “Open in Photoshop” for advanced retouching.

It’s in PS that I will use precise masking to reveal the model by increasing exposure.

• But isn’t too late? By that I mean have I already lost all data that RAW files could have provided for model to avoid noise all over her body?
  • If yes (it’s too late): What would be a better workflow?

Question 2:Suppose I have two cameras. Camera A is a 300USD DSLR, and camera B is a 5000USD DSLR.

Obviously, Camera B has a wider DR.

• Will the difference in DR show up in all its glory straight after I take the shot? Or the full difference will be revealed in Post processing?
  • Another way to ask: With the same manual exposure settings, camera A shows the model well exposed but the sky is blown. Will Camera B give the same results on the camera screen? Or the full difference will be revealed in Post processing?

Thanks all for your help!

Regards.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow