Please share experiences on Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,524
Re: Please share experiences on Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2

BSiler wrote:

Two weeks ago, I rented the Tamron and its Nikon counterpart (the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8E ED AF-S VR) from lensrentals.com with the intention of keeping one of them, without regard to price. I shot them head-to-head for a week, and my results were consistent with most everything I've read: at any focal length, the Nikon was sharper at 2.8. But the Tamron caught up with the Nikon at f/4, and the Tamron was sharper than the Nikon at all focal lengths when both were stopped down to 5.6 and beyond. And the Tamron was generally better in the corners. The Nikon AF was faster, but honestly, a tenth of second faster AF is not important to me. Both lenses had very effective VR. I bought the Tamron and would have done so even if the prices were the same.

As my earlier note, above, commented: send your body & lens into Tamron USA to be micro-focus calibrated to your body (free!) and you will be even more impressed with this lens.

A lot more.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow