How to organize photos on a Mac while using Photos app

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
msfox99 Junior Member • Posts: 38
How to organize photos on a Mac while using Photos app

Hi!  I am a PC guy, but have helped a few friends with their Mac and using the  Apple Photos app.  In all cases, they seem to import jpgs from their cameras or memory cards into the Photos library, so that their jpgs are inside the library file.

This doesn't seem like a good approach to me because they don't know where their jpg files are stored on their hard drive, and to me they seem a little "hidden" inside the library file.  On the Mac you have to right click on the library and then select Show Contents or something like that.

I am wondering if anyone with a Mac simply copies their photo files from their memory card onto a hard drive location that they choose, using the Finder, and organize the files and folders themselves, and then import "in-place" into the Photos app.  (That is basically what I do with Lightroom on my PC.)  This way you would be more aware of where they are stored and have easier access to them for backup, etc.

Also, one downside to me of how my friends do it is that one friend, for example, may import a couple of photos a day from her phone, and ends up with the photos spread across a ton of folders in the library, since I believe Photos is creating a folder for each day or import.

How do you handle organizing photos on your Mac?  All thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Mike

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow