Advanced filter at a wedding. Seriously.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Reybabes
Reybabes Senior Member • Posts: 1,643
Advanced filter at a wedding. Seriously.

It took everything in my photographic toolkit (knowledge, vision, and gear) to capture the pre-wedding festivities, the ceremony and reception. But then comes that dreaded part of the day: the dancing. I know that many wedding photographers will forego this portion or tops, will capture only a sparing few photos save for the obligatory first dances. I think a major reason is this: still images of people dancing are unappealing. Dance is about motion, rhythm, beat. There is exuberance and celebration and most well-taken images portray stilted, awkward poses that make little sense without the accompanying movement.

As the reception progressed and I was nearing the end of the shot list (and my energy threshold - I'm not a full-time wedding photography pro), it occurred to me that it might be interesting to experiment with the advanced filters during the dancing. I ended up using miniature.  I used flash but slowed the shutter speed down and played with motion of the camera, including spinning it and pushing it forward and backward during exposure. My hope was that it would help illuminate the movement and emotion in a new and creative way.

I’m wondering whether to deliver some to the bride and groom. What do you think?

Here's a write-up and more examples on my blog: here .

Thanks,

Rey

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow