Canons latest lens releases

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marc dbr
Marc dbr Regular Member • Posts: 309
Canons latest lens releases

Hi all,

So this year Canon released updated versions of their 70-200 line-up and last year they updated the 24-105 and these updates for the most part do not improve the optical qualities of the lenses (the 70-200 f4 IS II and 24-105 f4 IS II didn't show any sharpness improvements and the 70-200 f2.8 IS III only got new coatings...).

Canon Rumors posted someting about two new big white version III lenses coming, and I mean why not? New lenses are always a good thing right!

There are two things bothering me though: what do these lenses need (300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm) to be improved? Optically they are stellar, so basically we're going to see the same trick: new coatings and a whiter paint...

The second thing is why update these lenses? I would love to replace my 135 f2 L with a newer 2018 35 1.4 II or 85 f1.4 IS like lens with IS and newer sharper optics. I would also like to see a 50 f1.4 L, or a 24 f1.4 III or even a 14 f2.8 II.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it realistic to hope for these lens updates or is canon leaving their old prime lineup untouched for a decade longer?

-- hide signature --
 Marc dbr's gear list:Marc dbr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow