Which camera set up for 5 day backpacking trip?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Peteo
Peteo Senior Member • Posts: 1,912
Which camera set up for 5 day backpacking trip?

I'm heading out to Isle Royale in the middle of Lake Superior for a 5 day backpacking trip in August and struggling with which camera set up to bring. It's a very scenic island with lots of wildlife and I'm hoping to be able to capture a moose as well as the northern lights. Being we're backpacking weight is critical so I'm trying to minimize as much as possible.  My options are:

• Pentax K5iis with Pentax 28 - 105 mm.  Lighter DSLR with good quality and decent zoom range with crop sensor. Also weather sealing is a plus. 
  • Pentax K1 with Pentax 28 - 105 mm. Heavy but better quality and better high ISO for northern lights. Wider angle but limited zoom with full frame. Also weather sealed.
  • Pentax MX-1.  Super light set up but much smaller sensor and ok quality. Decent zoom and full manual options but no ability to use polarizing filter.  No weather sealing. 
  • I also could bring a Tamron 28 - 75 f2.8 which would be better for night photography but it weighs twice as much as the Pentax 28 - 105mm.
  • Tri-Pod is my Manfrotto MKC3-H01

I'm thinking the K5iis set up is the way to go but looking for opinions of others who have traveled, hiked, or backpacked with a camera setup. Thoughts, tips or suggestions much welcomed!

Thanks,

Scott

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +11 more
Pentax K-1 Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PDL
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow