No Longer My Go-To Macro

Started Oct 3, 2015 | User reviews thread
JeanPierre Martel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,295
Re: Macro vs close-up photography

DrHook59 wrote:

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

http://jpmartel.quebec/2016/04/12/m-zuiko-40-150-mm-mc-14/ (skip the French text)

Jean-Pierre, can you tell me whether you took those photos hand-held, or on a tripod?

Please forgive me for taking so long to reply to your message.

99,99% of my pictures are taken with a hand-held camera.

At the botanical garden located near my appartement (where these butterflies were shot), tripods are not allowed. Monopods are allowed. However, the only users of monopods that I’ve seen are people using big and heavy reflex cameras (like Canon and Nikon).

Bright μ4/3 lenses allow us to get fast shutter speeds. And fast shutter speeds means sharp pictures with half-held cameras. Specially when we take into account that Olympus has the best IBIS technology in the World.

Recently, I’ve published a little slideshow created with pictures taken in Lisbon. I’ve not made a formal announcement about it on this forum because that slideshow is not that extraordinary.

However, it contains a video clip (between 0:51 and 1:17) shot inside a very shaky tramway. So shaky that I’ve almost fell on my back. Yet, if you focus on cars and people seen on the street, the clip is almost as taken with a steadicam. That shows the power of modern image stabilization:

https://jpmartel.quebec/2018/07/17/sud-alfama/ (skip the French text)

That’s why I almost never use tripods. They are useless for the kind of pictures that I’m taking (no waterfalls, for example).

They're very nice, like the 'look' and rendition a lot.

Thanks. But I have no merit; I’ve just pushed the button.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow