Pixel density advantge does it matter { within reason }

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 1,446
Pixel density advantge does it matter { within reason }

I shoot with FF m43 and I also have a 1" sensor . My FF cameras go to 42mp and in this imaging resource sample shot { so that everyone can access the RAW file} . I cropped it to one quarter in effect giving the end result the 2x crop factor of my m43. I resized it slightly to give an 18x12 300ppi file

What size would you print this to expecting good detail and so on. How do you feel it compares with the higher pixel density of your m43 or APS . Looking at similar sized prints from my m43 and the Sony crop , I am not sure that the quarter cropped file from 42mp is at any real disadvantage. What do you think ?

Link to RAW file

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7r-iii/A7R3INBI000100.ARW.HTM

Full scene before crop { downsized just for perspective }

Quarter crop { x2 effective crop factor} full size image please view original

I do typically shoot my m43 cameras at 3x2 as the 4x3 ratio { which does nibble a couple of mp }  is not my preference in most of what I shoot { landscape ,buildings and so on} . Which, gives me a 17.9mp file from my 20mp GX8 and 14.06 from my 16mp GH4 whilst the quarter crop of the A7rIII gives me a 10.5mp file

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” John Adams

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
Leica X2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow