Sigma 100-400mm DG OS Contemporary

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HansGeorg Tacke Regular Member • Posts: 107
Sigma 100-400mm DG OS Contemporary

Hello, I've bought this lens last week because of the more or less enthusiastic reviews everywhere in the net and the good experiences made by different users in this forum what picture quality and compatibility with Nikon1/FT1 are concerned.

The compatibility whit J5 and V3 is flawless. Picture quality very good, sharpness even at 400mm FL very good, at 300mm a little bit better than my copy of the 70-300CX.

But: I had to buy the Sigma USB Dock because I found the default OS not usable, absolutely no steady image in VF/display and OS itself not very effective. Both very much better with the setting OS dynamic on C1. I have combined it with Fast AF.

The compatibility with N1 Cameras/FT1 has one flaw. On both the V3 and J5 the Sigma lens disables the setting for AF Field, stays locked on center AF, setting in the onscreen quick menu of the V3 is greyed out. And IMO the AF Field in the center seems to be larger (??) than with the 70-300CX  because it focused more often on a well contrasted background which seemed to be outside of the AF area when composing the image.

Further experiences with this lens will follow if of interest.

Hans-Georg

HansGeorg Tacke's gear list:HansGeorg Tacke's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Panasonic ZS100 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow