Canon 24mm F2.8 STM edge bleeding, corner softness, CA and coma

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Easy Rider
Easy Rider Senior Member • Posts: 5,943
Canon 24mm F2.8 STM edge bleeding, corner softness, CA and coma

Well I've done more tests in my garden shooting same test images I used to Compare Nikon D5300 at 23mm on the Sigma EX DC OS HSM 17-50mm F2.8 and Fuji X-100T when I'd just bought it. Same exposure time etc.

I did this as was surprised when viewing at either 100% or print size that my colours and WB and general shaprness were quite good with the 100d and 24mm F2.8 pancake but anything white has a lot of coma / edge bleeding and the corners are very poor in terms of sharpness and CA even from F5.6 - F8 in any conditions.

The garden includes a white stone garage and I shot trees against the sky included as well as white topped stone wall and two white cherub ornaments.

The Canon 24mm STM Shows more detail than the Nikon and Sigma and sharper corners.

The Canon 24mm STM shows more edge fringing around every white edge on the garage, white wall tops and cherubs and especially in the corners around leaves on the trees against the sky than the Nikon + Sigma, although the corners are sharper and less mushy.

The Fuji X-100T has zero fringing / edge bleeding / CA / coma - on any of the above mentioned objects and zero fringing around tree leaves and branches shot against the sky even in the corners and and has sharper corners than the Nikon + Sigma and the Canon. Details / general sharpness is about the same everywhere else as the Canon and better than Niko and Sigma.

I have read reviews comparing CA and coma against the Canon FF 24mm IS USM and most reviews confirm the 24mm STM APS-C lens is better in the corners and with CA than that very decent lens.

This all confirms that the Fujinon 23mm F2 on the X-100 models is an exceptional lens.

I actually prefer the form factor and battery life and durability of the 100d and 24mm STM but cannot accept this edge bleeding and fringing and CA and soft corners, now I know how better the Fuji lens is.

Shame as I like the camera better.

What to do now? 16MP is fine for me so maybe same form factor by getting X-T1 and 23mm WR F2 or new X-T100 24mp bayer sensor model with same used lens and not have to bother with converting every file to DNG format. XT-1 only slightly, marginally more expensive.

I've experimented with Lens corrections in both ACR and CS6 and both do not fix the Canon set up edge bleeding, CA and coma etc, using RAW or large JPEG.

So not saying it is a BAD lens, just nowhere as good as the Fuji X-100 T's lens.  Also nowhere near as good as the Nikon 35mm F1.8 G DX either.

I'd place it honestly as about as good at 24mm as the Nikon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR II I had on my D5300 tbh.

Easy Rider's gear list:Easy Rider's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Camera Raw 7
Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D) Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow