Vinegar fixed my sb-800 flash

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
saaber1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Vinegar fixed my sb-800 flash

Just an FYI for those with a wonky-acting flash.

My second sb-800, which I bought used, had some very strange behavior when shooting on a d750. I noticed corrosion on the contacts as well as the three prong connector in front (under the rubber cap). My first sb-800 worked fine.

So this flash apparently was exposed to water or humid environment or something else that caused corrosion. I first cleaned all exterior contacts and metal plate on the flash with alcohol and no luck solving the problem. Same goes after trying: toothbrush, thorough cleaning with dremel with brass brush, de-oxit (the best contact cleaner u can buy imo). But nothing worked. Or to be perfectly accurate, de-oxit worked temporarily (I believe this is due to some of the deoxit making its way inside the flash but not enough for permanent fix),  It turns out the problem was corrosion deeper than what can be seen on the surface .

So I soaked the entire contact part of the flash (above the contacts but not into the main body of the flash) in white vinegar (an acid) for two days. The first day everything looked the same but on second day vinegar was discolored and flash contacts and metal looked more copper colored. Dried it out and tried it and now everything works perfectly after several days of testing.

So before giving up on a flash (or other corroded electronic device) it might be worth trying vinegar (acid). Really worked on this flash. Hope this helps someone with similar issues. Thanks!

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow