ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 Quirks II

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
fPrime
fPrime Senior Member • Posts: 2,476
Re: ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 Quirks II

Adam2 wrote:

nordic_light wrote:

When I did use ON1 Photo RAW 2018 it was ok. No big problem. But slow. Then came ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5. Better! Not so slow anymore. But ... and that is a big BUT for me. My computer is running hot when I use it! I can use it 15-30 minutes and then it's so hot so I must quit and let the computer cool down. If I continue there will be a noice too. So this means for me 2-3 pictures editing before taking a breake. I have a four years old mac mini, 16 gb ram. It should be enough for normal smooth editing I think.

Anyone else same problem?

It's interesting that you mention this. I've been working with the On1 folks for a while over this issue. They have been very concerned and responsive trying to diagnose and remedy the problem. First, I've been using On1 products for years. PR 2018.1.1 ran fine on my MBP but 2018.5 caused the CPU to max out, the fans blaze, and the machine ran unbelievably hot. We did multiple screen shares, system dumps, PR log dumps, and did not uncover the underlying problems. Interestingly, one of the engineers suggested creating a new user and installing On1 under that user. Amazingly, the CPU usage was minimal and the machine ran normally. This points to some sort of conflict between PR and the existing programs. That's where we are at and are trying to diagnose.

That could also point to a problem with PR's indexing function. A "new user" has no photo library to pore through.

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow