A7Riii Misfires With Godox Trigger. Sony Says Not Supported.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlexKalimat
AlexKalimat New Member • Posts: 5
A7Riii Misfires With Godox Trigger. Sony Says Not Supported.

I'm getting a really frustrating number of misfires I'm getting with my A7Riii + Godox flash setup. Sometimes I'll 40 or 50 shots without a problem... then I'll get randomly get 1 or 2 or 8 misfires in every 10 shots!

I've tried both the X1Ts and X-ProS, and it's really unreliable. (I'm checking the trigger light on the transmitter, so I know that's where the issue is - rather than between the trigger and the flash). My V860IIs works slightly better on camera (but still not reliable).

The triggers and flash work 100% fine with my A6500 and with my previous A9 and A7Rii cameras.

My suspicion is that the hotshoe contacts aren't making a proper connection. So I contacted Sony support to ask about a repair – and was told that ONLY Sony flashes were supported on the A7Riii... Um... really?!

So I bought a little Sony HVL-F20M to prove there was an issue with the camera... And guess what... IT WORKS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!!! DARN IT!!!

I've investigated a bit further (with some insulating tape), and it seems that the Sony flash does not use the central pin to fire, where the Godox flash and triggers do.

It's enough to be a REAL pain (and to make you look like you're an idiot working with substandard equipment) while you're working taking portraits with a client!

Does anyone else have any experience with this issue?

Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow